Knowing your rights and then learning how to effectively advocate for yourself are extremely important skills for people with disabilties to have. That’s why we are excited to announce a new 3-part video series, How to Be Your Own Best Advocate.
These videos and accompanying resources were created in partnership with DRTx Self-Advocate Intern Larissa Minner of the University of Texas ACT-LEND Practicum Program and is based on her research, and her professional and personal experience.
Video 1 covers:
- Defining self-advocacy
- Tips for problem solving
- How to be assertive vs. aggressive
Video 2 explains:
- What partial disclosure is
- Why and how to use self-disclosure
Video 3 discusses:
- Facing external obstacles such as people’s attitudes toward your disability
- Dealing with your own self-talk and internal struggles
Accompanying handouts are available linked below.
Our thanks to Larissa for her great work on this important project.