How to Apply for Services
Table of Contents
Who Should Apply
Texas residents experiencing disability discrimination or having problems getting disability services can apply for our legal services. We only handle certain legal issues related to disability. Learn more about how we decide what cases we take.
To apply for our services, you are required to go through our intake process by phone or through our online application. We cannot receive requests by regular email, on social media, through any of the Contact Us forms on our website, or through direct calls to agency departments or staff other than our intake.
Please note: once we receive all the information we need for your application, it can take up to 10 days to receive notice on whether or not we can take your case. Even if we can’t take your case because it’s something we don’t handle or our case load is too high, we still try to provide referrals to other places you might be able to get help.
The information below covers the three intake options – online, phone, and sign language phone. Before applying for our services, please learn about what to expect by reading the Intake Process webpage or by watching the Intake Process video.
You can use our online intake form anytime of the day, any day of the week, to begin the intake process. Please provide as much information as possible to limit any delays we might have in processing your application.
You can call our statewide intake phone line number at 1-800-252-9108 to get started with intake. The phone line is open Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Central Time. Below is a preview of the options callers will hear when calling our the phone line.
- Call 1-800-252-9108, then press 1 for English or 2 for Spanish
- Press 1 if you are calling to apply for our services, All people NOT applying for services but calling for other reasons can press 2 and the receptionist will send your call to the right staff person.
- Next, listen and select one of the the following options. Please note that the intake person who handles your issue will likely be helping another caller and you will need to leave a message. Please leave a brief message with your name, telephone number, and a good time to call you back. It may take a few days for you to receive a return call depending on call volume.
- Press 1 if you are calling from a psychiatric hospital, state supported living center, or a jail OR if you have concerns about mental health services or abuse.
- Press 2 for special education or 504 services.
- Press 3 for children’s or adult Medicaid, healthcare, community services, guardianship removal or alternatives to guardianship.
- Press 4 for employment, voting, or ADA violations.
- Press 5 for housing, transportation, or disaster preparedness and response.
- Press 6 for vocational rehabilitation (CAP) or social security benefits planning (PABSS).
- Press 7 for all other issues not mentioned.
- Press 8 to hear the menu again.
Sign Language Video Phone
You can call one of the two sign language video intake phone lines listed below to begin the intake process. These phone lines are open Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Central Time.
- Sign Language Video Phone: 1-866-362-2851
- Purple 2 Video Phone: 512-271-9391
Requesting an Accommodation for the Intake Process
If the intake options listed above aren’t accessible for you, you can request an accommodation for an alternative way to apply for services by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. (This email address is only for those asking for accommodations and not for submitting an actual application.)