Table of Contents
Disability Rights Texas Handout
To request this handout in ASL, Braille, or as an audio file, contact us.
Client Assistance Program and Transition Services
What Is the Client Assistance Program (CAP)?
The Client Assistance Program (CAP) is a federally funded program administered by Disability Rights Texas. It assists people with disabilities who are applying for or receiving services funded under the Rehabilitation Act, such as the Texas Workforce Solutions-Vocational Rehabilitation program and/or at Independent Living Centers in Texas.
What Is CAP’s View About Transition?
The Client Assistance Program is aware that many students who have disabilities leave school without preparation for jobs in the community, a place to live, or readiness to participate in adult services. We want to make sure that all students with disabilities who leave school have the opportunity to work, live, and play in their communities. That is why Transition Planning during school age is important. We believe it is important for school personnel, students with disabilities, their families, and adult service providers (such as rehabilitation counselors) to plan together for a future that will be productive and meaningful, before the student leaves school. Transition Services are among CAP’s Priority Areas listed in the Disability Rights Texas Strategic Plan.
How Can CAP Assist With Transition From School to Community?
CAP can assist students and their families by:
- discussing the need for rehabilitation planning and the importance of participation and work in the community before the student leaves school;
- explaining the rehabilitation services available in Texas and how to apply for these services;
- assisting students and their families in applying for rehabilitation services;
- explaining eligibility requirements for rehabilitation services and how to prepare for the initial interview;
- assisting the rehabilitation applicant or client resolve grievances with rehabilitation service providers; and
- advocating for an excellent system of Transition Planning in our state.
Last updated: September 1, 2016
Publication Code: EM4
Statewide Intake: 1-800-252-9108
Sign Language Video Phone: 1-866-362-2851
Purple 2 Video Phone: 512-271-9391
Online Intake available 24/7: intake.DRTx.org
Disclaimer: Disability Rights Texas strives to update its materials on an annual basis, and this handout is based upon the law at the time it was written. The law changes frequently and is subject to various interpretations by different courts. Future changes in the law may make some information in this handout inaccurate.
The handout is not intended to and does not replace an attorney’s advice or assistance based on your particular situation.
Print This Page