How to Report Housing Discrimination

Posted on

If you believe your housing rights have been violated, you can report it to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Use our Housing Discrimination Complaint Generator to get started.

About housing discrimination

If you believe you’ve been discriminated against when trying to buy or rent a home or get housing assistance, you can file a housing discrimination complaint.

Housing discrimination is illegal by federal law if it is based on any of the following:

  • Disability
  • Age
  • Race
  • Color
  • National origin
  • Religion
  • Sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation)
  • Family status

It is also illegal to deny someone access to housing because they are survivors of domestic violence.

These are not the only examples of possible rights violations related to housing. See the “Types of Allegations Investigated” section of HUD’s File a Complaint webpage for more.

Report your complaint

If you think you experienced housing discrimination, you should report it to HUD as soon as possible with as much information as possible. Get started with our Housing Discrimination Complaint Generator.

With the generator, you fill out a short form that asks for information about you, the discrimination you experienced, and who discriminated against you. The information you enter is added to a document (i.e., your complaint) that you can download and/or print. Then, you can submit your complaint to the HUD Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity regional office that covers the state where the discrimination occurred.

To get started, click the button below.


Create my complaint


The work that provided the basis for this publication was supported by funding under a grant with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The substance and findings of the work are dedicated to the public. The author and publisher are solely responsible for the accuracy of the statements and interpretations contained in this publication. Such interpretations do not necessarily reflect the views of the Federal Government.


Publication Code: HS22

Disability Rights Texas logo

Statewide Intake: 1-800-252-9108
Sign Language Video Phone: 1-866-362-2851
Purple 2 Video Phone: 512-271-9391
Online Intake available 24/7: intake.DRTx.org

Disclaimer: Disability Rights Texas strives to update its materials on an annual basis, and this handout is based upon the law at the time it was written. The law changes frequently and is subject to various interpretations by different courts. Future changes in the law may make some information in this handout inaccurate.

The handout is not intended to and does not replace an attorney’s advice or assistance based on your particular situation.

To request this handout in ASL, Braille, or as an audio file, contact us.

Print This Page