Filing a Complaint: Possible Discrimination in Housing

Posted on

Disability Rights Texas Handout

To request this handout in ASL, Braille, or as an audio file, contact us.

Filing a Complaint: Possible Discrimination in Housing

If you want to file a complaint with a government agency about possible discrimination or fair housing violations in Texas, you can contact the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) or the Texas Workforce Commission Civil Rights Division (TWC-CRD). You can contact them using the following:


Fort Worth Regional Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO)
801 Cherry Street, Unit #45, Suite 2500
Fort Worth, Texas 76102
Phone: 1-800-669-9777 or 1-800-877-8339
TTY 817-978-5595
E-mail: ComplaintsOffice06@hud.gov
Website: https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp/online-complaint


101 E 15th St, Guadalupe CRD
Austin, TX 78778-0001
Phone: 512-463-2642 or 888-452-4778
Fax: 512-482-8465
E-mail: HousingComplaint@twc.state.tx.us
Website: https://www.twc.texas.gov/partners/how-submit-housing-discrimination-complaint

Filing a complaint with HUD or TWC-CRD is optional, but it is one way to have the situation investigated and resolved. You should file a complaint with HUD and/or TWC-CRD within 1 year from the date of the alleged discrimination.

If you wish to file a lawsuit, for violations of your fair housing rights, you should do so within 2 years of the date of the alleged discrimination. If you want to take action, you should contact another attorney immediately because they would need time to research and prepare your case. If you do not meet the deadlines or procedures that apply to your situation, a court or administrative agency may dismiss your case, and you could lose your rights.

Some local laws or ordinances could apply to cases of alleged housing discrimination. These laws or ordinances may have a shorter deadline than discussed above. Because there could be other laws that apply to your situation, you should contact an attorney immediately. The information here is not a substitute for an attorney. Do not wait until the end of any deadlines before looking for an attorney. To find a lawyer in your area, you can call the statewide lawyer referral service at 1-800-252-9690 or you can search the state bar website. You can also call the “lawyer referral” number published by your local Bar Association (an organization of lawyers). You can call 2-1-1 for that number or other referral ideas.

If you are unable to file a complaint with either HUD or TWC-CRD due to accessibility issues, please contact our state-wide intake line at 1-800-252-9108 or online at intake.DRTx.org. You can also email housing@drtx.org with your name, phone number, address, and a description of the issue.

Created: August 25, 2020
Publication Code: HS11

Disability Rights Texas logo

Statewide Intake: 1-800-252-9108
Sign Language Video Phone: 1-866-362-2851
Purple 2 Video Phone: 512-271-9391
Online Intake available 24/7: intake.DRTx.org

Disclaimer: Disability Rights Texas strives to update its materials on an annual basis, and this handout is based upon the law at the time it was written. The law changes frequently and is subject to various interpretations by different courts. Future changes in the law may make some information in this handout inaccurate.

The handout is not intended to and does not replace an attorney’s advice or assistance based on your particular situation.

Print This Page